Jets softball players have been busy this preseason with spring trips to Tennessee and Florida. In their recent trip to Florida over spring break, the team post an 8-6 record, dropping a couple of close extra-inning games.
"Overall, I am happy with our growth as a team throughout this trip. We lost a couple of close games and finished strong with four wins," said Jamie Vandenburgh, now in her seventh year as head coach. She and assistant coach Mick Ream are just a few wins from a 200-win milestone!
Below are some highlights of the Florida trip.
- Sophomores show up strong!
- Kate Leach hit .568 with 25 hits, 20 RBI's, 6 doubles and a homerun.
- Maddy Schornack batted .459 with 17 hits, 7 RBI's, 1 homerun and scored 13 runs.
- Kylee Yon hit .410 with 16 hits, scored 20 runs and had 12 stolen bases.
- Freshman Kenadee Tompkins (Columbia Central High School) and Katelyn Kennedy (Northwest High School) each added 16 hits.
- All five pitchers earned a win on the mound.
The Jets are coming from a big year in the 2022 season that saw them go all the way to the NJCAA Tournament. Coach Vandenburgh is hopeful for this season. Pitcher Emily Breslin returns, granted an extra year of eligibility due to the COVID. Breslin has earned All MCCAA Conference and NJCAA All Region XII First Team honors in the past.